The Barnet Jujutsu Club was originally called The Barnet Budo Club. It opened its doors in 1978 as a subsidiary of the Hatfield Budo Club under the directorship of the late Sensei Peter Monkman 6th dan. One of Sensei Monkman’s instructors was Kenshiro Abbe, the founder of Kyushindo whom he met at the Budokwai in London. Under Peter, the training revolved around the principals and techniques of Judo, Aikido and Karate, to this he added his own knowledge of military close quarter combat. The Hatfield club opened 1958
In 1980 Richard Morris invited Peter to join the World Jiu Jitsu Federation where various techniques of Aiki Jujutsu and Juko Ryu Jujutsu systems were added to Peters own style of Kyushin Jujutsu.
The club names were changed to the Barnet and Hatfield Jujutsu Clubs. Peter continued to run the Hatfield club while his son Dean ran the Barnet club.
Many courses and grading have been conducted at the two clubs over the years. Peters Hatfield club moved to a Batterdale church hall where he continued to teach until he fell ill.
Peter died in 2005. The Barnet club joined Jui-Jitsu International and celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2008 and now teaches an eclectic mix of five Jujutsu styles with various weapons systems of Japanese origin.